Our COVID-19 Response Page
Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how P.S. 128M is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection.
We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe.
Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
Last updated: October 5th, 2020
P.S. 128M has chosen to operate on the NYC DOE's model 1B of hybrid learning. See details below.
Model 1 B: students receive in-person learning on two consecutive days per week - Tuesdays and Wednesdays for one group and Thursday and Fridays for the other group - with groups alternating Mondays.
In this model, there are two in-person student groups (A and B) and one fully remote student group (C).
Students will receive in-person learning for the same two days every week, as well as alternating Mondays. This amounts to a total of five days of in-person instruction every two weeks.
Please complete this form daily before entering the building:
BUILDING SAFETY: YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WHILE IN THE BUILDING
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn at all times by all adults (teachers, staff, and visitors) and students. It is expected that students enter the building with a mask on.
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Visiting our school: We are limiting visitors to the school during this time. Most parent-teacher conferences and other meetings can be held virtually. All visits must be pre-approved and scheduled with the office.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9°F must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you stay home or at a designated care facility for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
Safety Precautions Taken by Our School
- Sanitization: Before entering the school building, all students and staff will sanitize their hands. Hand sanitization is also required upon entering the classroom.
- Random temperature checks: Prior to entering the building, students and staff may have their temperature checked.
TECHNOLOGY: GETTING A DEVICE AND INTERNET ACCESS
We are committed to making sure that all students can successfully connect to online learning during their at-home learning days.
- If your student needs a laptop or tablet, fill out the Device Request Form to reserve your device. Borrowing a device is free!
- If your students experience internet-connectivity issues with their iPads, they can request help through the Technical Support for Families form.
- Borrowed devices should be used for school purposes only and kept in a secure location. Take your device with you on in-school days.
- If you are not able to get internet hooked up in your home, your child's teacher will work with you to provide alternative offline assignments.
- If you are having trouble connecting to Google Classroom, Google Hangouts, or any of our online learning resources, contact your teacher.
REMOTE LEARNING EXPECTATIONS
During hybrid or 100% remote learning, your child is expected to complete all assignments provided by the teacher. At the same time, we recognize that working independently at home is different and difficult for many students, so we want to provide flexibility.
- Students and families should check Google Classroom daily for important updates from their teachers.
- When signing in for virtual classes or meetings, students are expected to be on time, appropriately dressed, and ready to learn. We suggest signing in 5 minutes before class starts. Please try to reduce background noise and distractions as much as possible.
Instructions for Parents
- All parents are encouraged to take their child's temperature prior to bring them to school.
- The child must stay home if they show a temperature higher than 99.9 degrees.